As more people discover the far-reaching benefits of CBD, many are eager to try out new products. One of the biggest trends in today’s hemp industry is high-CBD hemp flower. CBD hemp flower offers all of the same benefits as other CBD products in a more economical and versatile form.
What is CBD Hemp Flower?
CBD hemp flowers are the reproductive organs of female hemp plants. Hemp flowers naturally contain high levels of cannabidiol (CBD) and are the source of all CBD products on the market.
By definition, hemp flowers are full-spectrum because they possess all of the beneficial compounds from the plants, including minor cannabinoids, terpenes, flavonoids, and essential fatty acids. When you choose CBD hemp flowers, you can be positive that you’re getting the full benefits of the entourage effect.
Is Hemp Flower Legal in the United States?
Congress legalized the cultivation, sale, and possession of hemp flower when it passed the 2018 Agricultural Improvement Act, also known as the Farm Bill. The legislation permits all parts of hemp plants as long as they contain less than .3% delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). Federal law also allows hemp-derived products, such as CBD vapes and edibles, as long as they adhere to the .3% THC limit.
However, some states have passed stricter regulations or interpret federal law differently. To avoid misunderstandings with law enforcement, we suggest that you consult the hemp-related authority in your state to make sure the products you purchase are legal where you live.
Main Benefits of Hemp Flower
Hemp flowers allow you to customize your CBD experience. You can use hemp flower in an amazing variety of ways, including:
- Smoking: Smoking CBD hemp flower is one of the quickest ways to feel CBD’s effects. People wishing to quit using tobacco increasingly turn to organic hemp as a nicotine and chemical-free alternative.
- Vaping: Inhaling hemp flower with a dry herb vaporizer is another fast method for enjoying the effects of CBD. Dry-herb vaping also preserves terpenes, offering enhanced flavor and therapeutic effects.
- Cooking edibles: After you learn to make butter and oil infusions with hemp flower, you’ll be able to create a nearly limitless range of CBD-infused foods and beverages.
- Making tinctures: With hemp flowers, you can make tinctures for a fraction of the price of commercial CBD oils.
- Creating topicals: Have you ever dreamed of adding CBD to your favorite shampoo or mixing up your own CBD balm with custom ingredients? It’s easy to make homemade topicals with CBD hemp flowers.
Creating your own CBD products from hemp flower is much more economical than buying them ready-made. Manufacturing extracts for commercial oils, vape products, edibles, and topicals requires expensive licenses, facilities, and equipment. When you consume cured hemp flowers, you avoid paying for the costly extraction process. Hemp flowers are also much cheaper than traditional cannabis buds. If you’re an old-school herb fan, you may want to try federally legal delta-8 flower.
What Are the Effects of Smoking Hemp Flower?
Smoking or vaping hemp flowers imparts a sense of calm and physical relaxation. Unlike traditional high-THC cannabis, CBD hemp flowers will never make you feel high. CBD is non-intoxicating, and legal hemp flower contains less than .3% THC, which is well below the amount needed to produce any psychoactive effects like intense sedation, hallucinations, or paranoia.
When taken in higher doses, CBD may produce mild side effects, including:
- Dry eyes and cottonmouth
- Reduced appetite
- Loose bowel movements
You can avoid most side effects by simply cutting down on the amount of CBD hemp flower you consume. Please keep in mind that CBD may interact with certain prescription medications, making them stronger. We recommend that you discuss your intention to try hemp flowers or any other CBD products with your physician.
Selecting the Best Hemp Flower
Quality and safety are both important considerations when it comes to hemp flower.
Gauging Hemp Flower Quality
With the sheer number of hemp products flooding the market, hemp flower quality varies considerably. The first step you should take when choosing hemp flower is to seek out one or two reputable brands to buy from.
Since you’re probably trying hemp flower for its therapeutic benefits, you would be wise to choose sources that adhere to organic farming methods. Look for brands that display the USDA Organic seal as well as badges from other respected organic certification organizations.
A company can grow the most beautiful, organic hemp on the planet, but if they don’t cure, trim, and store the flowers properly, you’ll be buying inferior buds. The best hemp flowers will be slow-cured, hand-trimmed, and fresh. If the buds look brown, seem dry, or smell moldy, take a hard pass.
Hemp Flower Safety Considerations
Perhaps the most important factor to consider when you’re purchasing hemp flower is lab-testing. Consumers would be wise to only purchase hemp and CBD products from companies that provide Certificates of Analysis (COAs) from unbiased, third-party laboratories.
COAs are official lab reports that prove the product is free of any harmful substances, such as fungus, pesticides, herbicides, heavy metals, and residual solvents. COAs also show the cannabinoid contents so you can choose among different potencies and ensure that your buds contain less than .3% THC.
What Are the Best CBD Hemp Flower Strains?
The strains you choose will ultimately depend upon your personal preferences. However, there are a few factors to consider when you’re trying to narrow down your selection, such as:
- Genetics: Flavors and effects vary considerably due to genetics. Strain names, the appearance of the buds, and indica or sativa dominance will tell you more about the genetic makeup of different hemp flowers.
- CBD content: Beginners may want to choose a strain with lower CBD levels, while experienced consumers may prefer more potent hemp flowers.
- Effects: While all hemp flowers foster a peaceful state of mind and give you the therapeutic benefits of CBD, each strain’s effects have subtle differences. Most hemp flower companies can point you toward strains that will produce your desired effects.
- Flavor and aroma: You’ll want to select strains with flavors and aromas that appeal to you, which will be mostly trial and error at first. Many companies offer sample packs and single pre-rolls so that you can try out a few strains before you buy in larger quantities.
Sativas typically provide more uplifting, energetic effects. If you’ve been looking for a hemp flower variety for workday productivity, try these strains:
Lifter was one of the first superstar strains on the hemp flower scene. A clever cross between Suver Haze and Early Resin Berry (ERB), Lifter remains popular with its upbeat effects and an average of 28% CBD. The strain features a host of rare terpenes, including farnesene, geranyl acetate, and bisabolol. The combination gives Lifter a sweet berry flavor and uplifting citrus aroma.
More experienced herb connoisseurs love Sour Diesel hemp flowers. Produced by crossing Super Skunk with Chemdog #1, Sour Diesel offers a whopping CBD content that often reaches up to 30%. Sour D features ample amounts of pinene and limonene terpenes, giving the buds a refreshing herbal taste and a classic skunky aroma.
Sour Space Candy
The complex terpene profile offered by Sour Space Candy genetics gives these hemp flowers an out-of-this-world flavor. A combination of Sour Tsunami and ERB genetics, Sour Space Candy has a moderate CBD content of around 25%. Vaping or smoking Sour Space Candy offers sour cherry and lemongrass notes with a subtle floral fragrance.
As a general rule, indica-dominant strains are more physically relaxing. Indicas are excellent choices for winding down in the evenings or when you're not feeling well and need to rest. Indicas tend to possess a high concentration of the terpene myrcene, which produces a profound sense of physical relaxation.
Originally bred by Oregon CBD, Special Sauce combines genetics from the original Special Sauce strain and Early Resin Berry. The hybrid only leans slightly toward the indica side, making it an ideal choice for easing body aches during daytime activities. Special Sauce hemp flowers contain an average of 16% CBD, impart an earthy berry flavor, and feature an aroma similar to beer-making hops.
Bubba Kush has strong indica landrace genetics, earning it the nickname “Indica Queen.” Bubba Kush remains one of the most sought-after hemp strains for evening and bedtime use. Lime-green Bubba Kush buds average around 22% CBD and impart an earthy, herbal flavor with hints of chocolate and peppermint.